Wednesday 22 April 2015

10 Charms of being a Hyderabadi

I've spent the two years of my life at the city of Nawabs known as Hyderabad. I've had some long lasting memories here with Hyderabadis and how they are fun, loving and cool. Lets talk about what stands them apart from the rest of the world:

1. Well, to begin with do everything hallu se. (slowly). Yes, its a city but here its a slow life with people telling each other "hallu se chal" (walk slowly), "hallu se khaa" (eat slowly).


2. Sentences of hindi are too short as there are no "hai, hain, hu etc." Hindi is like "Tu dekhi" (You saw?" "mai toh paper mei kuch likhich nahi" (I did not write anything in the exam.)



3. Here , if people get angry you will get to hear words like "Kya houla bnaya muje" (You made me mad".  "Kya baingan bnaya re tu" (You made me a fool).


3. Hyderabadis are really cool people. You will often find them saying "Light le in hindi or light tisko in telugu (meaning  take things lightly, Chill)


4. We have talked too much on the language. Lets talk about the city as such. So, to begin with, amidst the hustle bustle, the pollution in any city, here lies a big lake Hussain Sagar at the heart of the city built by the great Nizam of Hyderabad. The lake is beautiful. My friend tells me it keeps the city cool. The eat street on the sideways and the buddha structure in the middle of the lake are the ambience to vouch for.


5. Awesome resorts and restaurants to go for. Alankrita and Leonia Resorts are the one I've frequented to for meals. Apart from that, city offers some of the exotic restaurants like A La' Liberty, Indigos to mention a few. See my friend's blog: https://foodventurerz.wordpress.com/ and I need not say more.


6. Hyderabadis love biryani. Most of them do. Paradise in Hyderabad is famous for its biryani.


8. Ramoji Film City is another attraction here. Its a place to recollect your movies and serials that were shooted here. Its big and its good for a full day outing.


9. The beauty of Charminar is appeasing to eyes. The market is full of vendors selling accessories , food, juices etc..


9. The love that Hyderabadis have for Telugu movies, songs and their culture is interesting to see. One word against their favourite movie star and they will protect him/her like their family.


10. The best part of this place are its people. Most of the local friends of mine were so caring and loving and they love to invite you for food. Some of them even go out of their way to help others.

The list is not exhaustive. These are those few of the many things that I'm carrying away with me for the rest of my life. If you really want to know, what makes this city so special in its own way, you should visit this place. With a heavy heart, I leave Hyderabad in 3 days. Counting 3,2,1........


8 comments:

  1. This is so apt about Hyderabad. Describes it just so well. Well done Madhu! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swati. Enjoy your birthday. :)

      Delete
  2. Made for a very interesting read...very honestly written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Radhika. Thanks for being part of this amazing journey. Will miss you. :)

      Delete
  3. You forgot the Telugu movie dialogues and songs taught to you :D
    "O Madhu, O Madhu..."
    Gonna miss you and our crazy talks ;) :-*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya, I forgot. But, when I thought of writing this, I thought of putting it. Its okay. You will find them here or somewhere else soon. Me too. My first friend in hostel. I'm happy about the correct person I met that too at first instance. Will miss you too much. :*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ate my first chicken biryani meal at a restaurant in Tughlakabad and i like it coz i have an appetite for foods foreign to the NE. Its upsetting that the only places where I can find this food is at 4 star hotels here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must visit Hyderabad once, Sang. Biryani is plenty here and you can take a cook along with you to NE and open a Biryani restaurant. haha! Thanks for reading this up. :)

      Delete